Calories Per Serving
- 1 turkey (12 lbs.)
- 6 pasilla chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 20 cloves garlic (5 finely chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 large Spanish onion, quartered
- 1 orange, quartered
- In a non-stick frying pan, toast chiles over high heat, turning once, until fragrant ( about 2 minutes). Transfer to a small bowl and cover with 1 cup boiling water. Let soak 20 minutes until soft.
- Transfer chiles and their liquid to a blender or food processor along with garlic cloves, orange juice, oil, honey, salt and peppercorns, and puree until smooth (about 2 minutes). Add in orange zest. Set chile rub aside.
- Heat oven to 500°F and place rack in bottom third of oven. Season inside of turkey with salt or check out our chorizo stuffing. Rub turkey with chile rub. If you decide to bypass our stuffing then stuff the turkey with onions and oranges. Place broth in the bottom of the roasting pan to avoid sticking, and transfer the turkey breast-side up to a rack set in the roasting pan.
- Roast for 30 minutes, lower heat to 325°F and cook for 30 minutes more. Remove turkey from oven and, using kitchen towels to protect your hands, flip turkey breast-side down.
- Roast, basting occasionally. When a meat thermometer inserted into a thigh but not touching the bone registers 165°F (about 3 hours total for a 12-lbs. turkey), lower oven to 150°F. Transfer turkey, breast-side up, to a baking sheet. Return to oven to keep warm.